To date, 1,004 Vets/Caregivers/Volunteers have taken this trip with us over the past five years (ten trips) to see these Memorials. If you are a WWII or Korean War or Vietnam/Vietnam Era Vet in Shelby County (Ohio), contact us to see how you too can join us on the "Honor Bus."

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thank you, Versailles...

This past Saturday, we set up shop at the JOHNS IGA in Versailles, trying to raise funds for the upcoming trip. What a great day!

We were there from 10-3 and raised more than enough money to send one Vet to DC. The people who came in to shop were very supportive and shared some pretty good stories with us about their relatives who might have gone on past trips with us or other trips with other groups. We know unemployment is still a very real thing in that county. So to get that kind of support was very gratifying.

In a way I was surprised that we raised that much money ($373.00), but then again, I wasn't. The kinds of people who grow up in these small towns here, and across the country, are the same kinds who went off to war (then and now) to secure the freedoms of this nation and those of people they would never meet. This day was just a reaffirmation that people like that are still alive and well in America. It started with just a few people that day, and was highlighted by the likes of the man who gave us a $20 bill when he came in the store, and, when he finished his shopping, went to the bank right next door and withdrew $100 from the ATM and came back and gave it to us. He got away before we could even ask his name. I suppose that's the way he wanted it. We just want to thank him, and all the great Americans who stopped by that day.

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.

Hooah

No comments:

Post a Comment